2019 is the Year of the Tartan Turtle!
Help Our Slow Friends Come in First!
Turtles Need Our Help. Watch: Why we need turtle walks in Ontario? (link)
Turtles live a long time, but, it takes about 60 years for one snapping turtle to replace itself.
Turtles are the best cleaners of our lakes and water! Without turtles in lakes, all aquatic wildlife would suffer. Turtle populations are declining dramatically: Road mortality, poaching, by-catch, and habitat loss are making things worse for turtles.
Turtle Walks are 2 km walks- easy for kids to complete. They are held during the Strawberry Moon, the full moon at the start of June, which is the most active time for turtle nesting and when many turtles are near roads! Walks are to raise awareness and also funds. Become an online fundraiser all year, or collect pledges for the walk. All proceeds support turtle recovery, from prevention (ambassador turtles, research and education) to cure (turtle tunnels and trauma care)
WALKS begin at 10 am on Saturdays:
- JUNE 1: Thousand Island Parkway, Gananoque
- JUNE 8: Haliburton (meet at the HHSS grounds)
- JUNE 8: Bancroft (meet at Riverside park/post office entrance)
- JUNE 8: Peterborough (meeting at the zoo entrance)
- JUNE 8: Foxboro (meet at the Foodland parking lot)
- JUNE 15: Bracebridge (meeti at Kelvin Park)
- JUNE 15: Fenelon Falls (Meet at the locks)
- JUNE 15: Lindsay (meeting place TBD)
Live turtles, face-painting and crafts at most walks. Prizes for the best costumes, signs, for answering skill-testing questions during the walk, and for the best fundraisers
- Donations are in support of the T-5 Campaign (Turtles, Teaching, Tracking, Tunnels and Trauma care). Our goal is to raise $100,000 each year to support the recovery of turtle populations in Ontario, from start to finish: from prevention to cure.
- Contact: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 705-457-1222 (The Land Between head office and Turtle Guardian Headquarters) or 705-85-HELP-T (705-854-3578)
- Turtle Walks are supported by the Turtle Guardian Program and partners with administration provided by The Land Between Charity #805849916RR0001